If you are receiving Asian guests at your wedding, the majority of your gifts will be in the form of Lucky Red Packets. The value of this will obviously range with the relationship one has with the guests. It is a long standing tradition and one that can genuinely help with the bills!
These can be collected during the evening as couples toast each table but more commonly, they are placed in a collection upon arrival of your guests and the signing of their names.
Buying a wedding gift for loved ones can be a daunting and stressful task. One often is concerned whether or not the married couple will like the gift, and whether or not another guest will present the same gift. Though not as yet quite common for Asian weddings, you can help your guests out in this department by being organised and enlisting the services of a gift registry.
A gift registry is a service that allows the soon-to-be-married couple the opportunity to select the gifts that they would like to receive. This list is then made available for guests to take the worry out of purchasing a wedding gift for the couple. This service is useful as it can ensure that you will not receive the same gift twice and you are guaranteed to get gifts that you actually like.
Many department stores run gift registers and they can help you coordinate lists of items you would like to receive. It is also possible to register for gifts at several different stores.
When selecting gifts to add to your gift register, here are a few simple points to keep in mind:
- Discuss with your partner the kind of gifts you would like to receive. Take into consideration each other’s taste and style. It is also important to look at what you already own and what you need
- It is recommended that you and your partner register for gifts at least 6 months prior to the wedding. This gives you time to go through your register and make sure you have listed everything you want and need. It is also a good idea to return to the store where you are registered every few months to see the new season’s stock
- The most popular items on a gift registry are tableware, kitchenware, cookware and manchester
- Keep in mind that some of your guests may have strict budgets to adhere to, so it is a good idea to choose gifts that vary in price
- Consider that not all guests want to purchase from your gift registry. Some prefer to place their consideration into getting you something special for the big occasion. Whether or not your guests purchase gifts from your registry is up to them
When opening gifts, it is a good idea to make a list of all the gifts you have received and who they were from. It is good wedding etiquette to send out thank you cards after receiving a wedding gift. This should be done 4-6 weeks after receiving the gift. Thank you cards should incorporate the same theme as your wedding invitation, and they should be hand written for that personal touch.